The Pavilion, Brookfield Manor

History

Grade II listed Brookfield Manor, parts of which date back to an original farmhouse of 1658, underwent extensive alterations, with additions, in the 1830's when it was the property of Joseph Holworthy of Derby. Holworthy was an artist and set about rebuilding and extending it in gothic style with chimneys, sash windows, turrets and pinnacles. Holworthy was also a friend of JMW Turner and two of Turner's paintings used to hang in Brookfield. On his death the manor was inherited by his wife's sister, a niece of Joseph Wright of Derby, and she lived there until she died in 1867.

It is built of regularly coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, moulded copings to the gables and a slated roof. There are many interesting features of the house, including a number of turrets with embattled parapets, gothic glazing and low buttresses, which together with the unusual plan of the house creates a very pleasing and relaxed style that sits well within the parkland setting and nestling in mature trees. The most visible remains of the original house is a cambered lintel bearing the 1656 date

The next owner was Sheffield steel magnate called Charles Cammell who made further alterations, including adding a vast light drawing room, and the result is a house you see today.

After Cammell died in 1907 it was let by his family- one of the best known tenants being Colonel AW Chadburn JP.

Brookfield Manor is now in the private ownership of Sir Hugh and Lady Sykes who have undertaken further extensive renovations to protect and restore the house. Full time gardeners are employed to maintain the estate of 138 acres.


Brookfield Manor was fictionalised as ‘Vale Hall’ in the book ‘Jane Eyre’ written by Charlotte Bronte and inspired by her visit in 1845 when staying with Ellen Nussey in Hathersage, which becomes ‘Morton’ in the book.